The Director of Player Safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc, today suspended Louis-Philippe Carrier for 4 games. The suspension was handed out for a kneeing incident that occurred on January 5th against the Val-d’Or Foreurs.
Here is the reasoning that led to the suspension:
- The Val-d’Or player received a pass from his defenseman on a breakout.
- Then he turned towards the centre of the ice.
- At the same time the Remparts player headed towards his opponent to hit him.
- His opponent saw him coming and changed his direction.
- The Remparts player, seeing that he was going to miss his check, changed the direction of his right leg and hit his opponent on the knee.
- The Foreurs player had less weight on his left leg, which helped him avoid serious injury.
- This type of hit is very dangerous for knee injuries.
The Director of Player safety made this decision after having reviewed video of the incident, studying the official’s report, spoken to the players and organisations involved and consulted his senior advisor, Sebastien Bordeleau.